Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shades of Summer

This past week was such a busy one, jam-packed with outdoor activities and special outings and it felt like the first real taste of summer. Remember that feeling of anticipation as the remaining weeks of school slipped from the calendar? It was sheer joy when the final bell rang and we were out for summer…an entire summer…3 whole months of freedom and fun, and the possibilities were endless. As a kid, I remember thinking that every night felt like a Friday night, and every morning was a weekend morning…Lazy and delicious. My little people are still too young to get that feeling, but I felt it just watching them this past week. It felt like school was out for summer, and I was happy.



It started on Wednesday with a trip to the zoo. This wasn’t the most well thought out trip…we decided to go with my Mother late that morning. So by the time we made it to the zoo, I had two cranky, hungry kids that were badly in need of naps. And because I live in Southeast Louisiana, the temperature was in the 90’s by noon, and most of the animals had settled into heat-induced comas. This made for an interesting day. Parts of it were great fun and laughter…and other parts (meltdown at the carousel, meltdown at the playground, meltdown at the train) got downright ugly. Luckily, I didn’t photograph those parts. Here are some of our happier moments…













Thursday I surprised Mason with a trip to the pool after I picked him up from school. This was Maddie’s first time to the pool, and she loved it! She loved to watch Mason run through the spouts, as she squealed, splashed and clapped her hands. We had so much fun!










My sunbathing babe...







Saturday was another birthday party, and Sunday was a Mother’s Day Crawfish Boil at my parents’ house.







.....................................................................................



This was a special Mother’s Day for me. It was my first with Madison, and my first as being a mother of 2…which I must say, is dramatically different than mother of 1. I have learned so much this year about what it really means to be a mother…to accept the perfect imperfections and know that’s what makes our life more beautiful and more real. I have learned that life doesn’t come with a script, and I have found a more alive and authentic version of myself that exists only in those moments when I really allow myself to let go. My babies have taught me how quickly this precious time flies by, and how to soak up every single last drop before it is gone.









They allow me to see the world through their eyes, and it holds so much more wonder and beauty than anything I had seen before…and for that gift on this Mother’s Day, I will be forever grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...